Monday, August 21, 2017

Science Fair 2016 / Epidemiologic experiments (3) conclusions


 Conclusions  

 
 
    While in the beginning of the experiment, I looked under the microscope to see probiotics fighting pathogens, it was merely because of my fascination and wonder at seeing microorganisms not only move but also attack other threatening bacteria as well. However, the reason I had done this experiment was for the two purposes: to first have some kind of epidemiologic study about the dietary supplements my father eats since he was a consumer and also because my father suffered from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and I wanted to find out what the best way was to cure him from it. Through research, I realized right off that what the researchers had stated about probiotics being able to battle pathogens was correct as I had observed the probiotics fight against molds and other kinds of pathogens. What really amazed me about the probiotics was that even when they were going to die, they stuck onto the pathogens and refused to let go, showing their dedication towards fulfilling their job even to the very end. Following direct antagonism, in order to see whether or not probiotics would really be able to survive in a small intestine’s environment (pH level 7 and body temperature of 98.6 degrees F) and be able to enter the colon active and well, I carried around 4 test tubes containing kimchi, new 5 and 90 billion probiotic capsules, and one expired capsule with 5 billion.
     The results for this was very successful since all except the expired probiotics managed to maintain stability even after 30 hours in the intestine environment. Finally, while earlier on one of my first experiments I tested to see if the enteric coating was efficient at resisting the environment of the stomach at room temperature (which succeeded as the capsules remained the same even after hours), also I added vinegar with the temperature of my body, then added a 5 and 90 billion probiotics capsule and waited the results. The results showed that while the 90 billion remained sturdy even after three hours, the 5 billion capsule dissolved in about 1 hour and 4 minutes showing that the probiotics of that capsule would die even before reaching the small intestine (since my third experiment showed that when probiotics were put in acid or a pH level of 2.2, they would die in 15 minutes).
     While the entire experiment was successful in general, the dissolving of the 5 billion capsule at body temperature meant that there was an error made by the company Nature’s Way which made many people in a way, waste their money since the results showed even if we consumed those capsules, the probiotics there wouldn’t even be able to aid one’s body, showing that there wouldn’t be much point in buying those capsules. In the end, the experiments showed that the enteric coatings of the capsules were really stimulated by the temperature and PH level. Most importantly, it showed that the reason why my father’s IBS gradually subsided was because of these fierce micro organisms that fought pathogens even to the end, showing that my thesis was thus proven.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment