Wednesday, July 11, 2018

whey protein in the water

Hello everyone! I know it's been a while since my last post but I'm finally back! Today we will be discussing something many people who workout at gyms consume: whey protein.
40X
If you didn't know this already, whey protein is actually just the leftovers of milk when it is processed into cheese. The reason why we take it is because of its amino acid rich benefits. Seen above is how whey looks at 40x  magnification and one significant fact I saw right away was how the particles don't actually clump. There are certain chemical compounds that prevent whey from clumping, one which is most widely known is lecithin.

400X
Under deeper magnification, circular rings are beginning to be seen more clearly. The first thought that came to me was that these are actually the protein whey is so famously known for. The reason I preceive this is because I learned certain proteins, when looked under the electron microscope, actually possess the oval/ring-like shape shown above and below. 
400X

1000Xoil
It seemed when I conducted oil magnification, there wasn't much difference as to when I had first viewed the whey protein at 40x magnification. My assumption is the whey particles seen on the first picture are actually magnified a significant amount and further proves how there are no clumps when whey is mixed with water. 
1000Xoil


No comments:

Post a Comment