Thursday, June 15, 2017

grape juice turns out...

I decided to leave my grape juice outside for a while and realized . . . it no longer seemed like grape juice . . . 
100X
When I took a look under the microscope, I realized there were organisms thriving inside the juice. The picture underneath seemed to show either paramecium or a specific yeast known as Saccharomyces cerevisiae which is commonly seen in wine.
1000X
As I saw this, I realized these microbes were likely not dangerous because by leaving the grape juice outside, I was actually fermenting the drink to wine. Wine generally has a variety of different microbes in them including the Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
1000X
After investigating further, I was confirmed that these were likely microbes normally existing in wine. Microbes such as the Saccharomyces cerevisiae convert sugars into alcohol (also commonly seen in beer and distilled beverages).
1000X
So next time you take a drink of a fermented beverage, just remember the hidden organisms that allowed the drink to exist!
1000X



1000X

No comments:

Post a Comment