Thursday, September 21, 2017

1st solo exhibition (Irvine High School Science Building)

Aug 24, 2017- June 2018
 
 
 
 
 Preface

Micro-Miracle Have you ever seen probiotics pierce through bacteria? Or have you witnessed the activity yeast cells have from grape juice? We all know that cliché saying: Don’t judge a book by its cover. But does it really just apply to humans? It turns out, ever object and organism has two sets of identities: An identity we see on a daily basis and an identity that is only shown when looked at more closely. The microworld has hidden secrets that can unlock mysteries of the big world!

Lightning-Lighting When you try viewing something under the microscope, you’ll quickly realize you’re unable to unless you have light. Put shortly, the lighter, the more visible the sample will be. Using that fact, I suppose the same thing occurred within my head. In biology class, my head sparked a curiosity on microscopes as I began to experience more labs. In order to go more in depth, I used my microscope to investigate organisms and objects we see on a daily basis. And so, for the past three years, I observed slides with lubricant tear drops, the wings of insects, paramecium, dust, and much more.

Observation and More The fundamental subject of science depends on one thing: observation. Of course, it doesn’t just end with observations! From these observations, there is an opportunity for your own “self-study” by analyzing this new-found information you have gained from your use of the microscope: “what is the scientific origin of a certain feature?” or “why are these structures in this certain shape?” (these questions are only a few examples of the many you can create when looking through different slides under the scope). This gallery here is merely a sample of the thousand pictures I’ve taken under the microscope and posted onto my blog. If you would like to experience the microscopic world for yourself, feel free to also join our club IMC (Irvine Microscope Club).

                One last thing: I just want to give a huge shout-out to Mrs. Elliott who helped me form this gallery and has also taught at this amazing school for forty years!!! Thus, I dedicate this gallery to her!

 

Microscope lover and IMC founder,                                    
 
            Kyu-Been Lee           
                                
My Blog: adventuresinthemicroscope.blogspot.com 
IMC Blog: irvinemicroscope.blogspot.com


 

No comments:

Post a Comment