Wednesday, January 3, 2018

house fly

If this makes you think of house flies in a different . . . scarier way, I do apologize for showing you a zoomed in picture of one!
One of the flies which entered my house happened to die after being trapped behind the window sill. Investigating it made me realize I could compare its features to other insects and animals I see everyday!



The pictures show the compound eyes of the flies which consist of thousands of individual visual receptors (ommatidia). The countless number of receptors shown here explain how flies are able to have a near 360 degree vision and can avoid danger such as our hands trying to swat them!




The antennae-like structure seen above is actually the fly's tongue, known as the labella. Flies use the labella to suck up liquids and also easily dissolve food particles.




No comments:

Post a Comment